Saturday, October 29, 2011

Where did that come from?

My daughter has been surprising my lately with her numbers abilities.  A month ago or so we were in the car (and it always seems to be in the car, btw) she asked me, "Mom, did you have 16 or 18 balloons at your grand opening for the studio?"  I said, "16 balloons, why?"  She was quiet for a while then responded, "So, you had four groups of balloons then, right?"  "Yes, I did.  How did you figure that out?"  "Simple mom, I counted on my fingers and it came to four, four times."  "Why it certainly does, I like your thinking." I happily replied.  We talked a bit more about numbers and how they work and left it at that.
Then yesterday, we were in the car and she blurts out "3 sets of 3 plus....." Me, "What? I didn't quite hear you." She repeated it and I still didn't quite hear her, so I said, "You know I believe what you saying may be correct I just can't hear you clearly at the end, could you repeat it one more time for me?"  She replied (with confidence), " 3 sets of 3 plus 1 makes 10."  Me (surprised, because we have given her no formal math training whatsoever still at the age of 7.5 and she comes up with this number stuff like it is nothing!), "Wow Lili!  I am very impressed, that is correct.  How did you come to figure this out?"  Lili (nonchalantly) replies, "I spend hours with that abacus mom and it all gets locked up into my brain."
I just love it and I am so excited she loves numbers because she is going to need them and to understand them very well for her future in Design, be it Interior, Outdoor or Architecture.  She also plans to be a Professional Photographer.  I am so pleased to see her blooming and her gifts coming forth.  She is a bit slower on the reading end and you know what?  I am so perfectly fine with that, she is very busy and absorbed with numbers right now.  The reading will come soon enough.
I refuse to compare her to other kids her age or even her brother who is a phenomenal reader for his age.  He is 9 and reads & comprehends at a high school level (we are not talking public high school level where they top off at a 5th grade reading level, either).  He is not as good at numbers as my daughter is, who as you can see is digging a bit into algebra with her latest formulation.  So I am content with how things are going because I believe both of my kiddos are going in the direction they should be headed at just the right pace.  I also love that they are helping each other to strengthen the other in their "deficits" if you would call them that.  They are very encouraging to one another and that is VERY high on my priority list for them.
Marco will be doing his first Science Fair coming up her in November the 12th.  We will update you on this and how it all came to be soon.
On another note: I know I have not been on here very much at all.  I was in a very bad car accident on August 4, 2011 ( a girl pulled L out in front of me while I have the green light, I was not expecting her at all because just before her another car had pulled out and I had just missed that car) and it has been very difficult around here.  I had to be rushed to the hospital  they thought I broke my arm, collar bone and neck.  After many x-rays and hours they determined I had two slipped discs, my 2nd & 3rd.  They gave me pain meds and sent me on my way.  I was scared silly to get back into a car so, my aunt came up and gave me some anti-anxiety pills to get me home.  I wouldn't get back into a car for 2 weeks, but had to...I RAN OUT OF PAIN MEDS!   Anyway, to make the long story short, I got an MRI done of my neck and back turns out I have a bulge 2mm in my C5-6 narrowing blood flow and a bulge 2mm in my L4-5 with micro tears in my ligaments all way down my spine.  I had an MRI done of my left shoulder, I should hear results by Monday and then I go for an EMG to test for nerve damage and also will be evaluated for a closed head injury. I got to passive physical therapy 6xs a week ( twice a day, 3 days a week).  I spend a lot of time in bed, sleeping.  I cannot do any house hold work, dance (my stress reliever), but I do got to the studio to audit classes and do administrative work. I was alone in the car (normally my kiddos would've been with me) and I am thankful for The Lord's protection.  In the midst of this The Lord has laid His favor on my business and it is growing nicely.  Another thing to be thankful for.  So anyway, that is what has been going on.  Please excuse any grammatical errors or sentences that just don't make sense.  The medication has clouded my brain and we are pretty sure I have a closed head injury.  I know many of you will pray me through this and I say "Thank-you so very much!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gimme Your Two Cents, You Know You Want To...

Related Posts with Thumbnails