Sunday, November 7, 2010

Where have all the Little Girls gone?

The other day my daughter and I were shopping around for some holiday items, dresses and shoes for her.
I have noticed something disturbing to me. I am wondering if you find it disturbing as well?
My daughter is a very sweet 6 1/2 year old, and she acts like a 6 1/2 year old. She is into the things the average 6 1/2 year old is (from back in my day). I don't want her to grow up too fast in the ways our society wishes her to grow up. I want her to grow up to be a wonderful young lady who first knows The Lord, second is confident about who she is and knows what is appropriate for her age and know right from wrong. I want her to have a well developed mind and spirit, to be independent (she was born with that), engaging, curious, aware, to be a critical thinker, love life, discerning, skeptical, questioning, knows what she believes and why she believes it. And this list could go on and on and on and on...
Because I wish to do her justice and prepare her for life in this world, I help her learn in this world. I do not cut her off from it.
When I notice something inappropriate for her age, that society seems to be pushing as something tolerable, I point it out to her.
This brings me to our shopping story.
We were looking at some dresses and she found some lovely ones. We also found some that looked like a mini version of say what I might wear on a date with my hubby. You know bias cuts on the dress to enhance a grown woman's body...but they were on little girl's dresses. Weird. So we talked about the dresses and compared some and talked about why some were appropriate and what made them so, and why some were inappropriate and what made them so. I knew it was bad, I guess I just didn't realize how bad. I certainly didn't think I would have to be chatting with my daughter about this stuff while she is a mere 6 1/2! 11 years old...Yeah, I thought for sure by then, but not this early in the game of LIFE.
She and I came to the conclusion that the world is trying to make little girls grow up way too fast.
We moved onto the shoes. Who knew my daughter and I would be continuing our chat in the shoe department, but there we were. We found little girl's shoes with HEELS!! And I am not talking a little eraser width heel height, I am talking...Well, just see for yourself.




See what I am saying? Why does my 6 1/2 year old need to wear shoes like that? Why are they even offered for her age group?
I thought all I would see offered for her age group would be shoes like these.


What is wrong with these shoes? Aren't they darling? I think so.
Isn't that what little girls are supposed to be...Darling? I think so.
They are not mini women, they are little girls. Let them be little girls. Sheesh!
Where have all the Little Girls gone? Calling all Little Girls and their Mamas! Please help us keep their childhood in check. Let's help them enjoy it while they've got it and not focus on being grown up letting it bypass them and even us.

I must say I think my daughter is getting it, while on another shopping trip she noticed the grown up stuff in her area and said (without inhibition), "The world just wants little girls to grow up too fast. Just look at this stuff mom!"
I know many ears overheard, I just wonder what their reaction was as they were looking at the very same stuff we were.

4 comments:

  1. The problem is you are traditional and treat your child like a child. You are a good mom and have a mother daughter relationship.

    Most other women treat their child like a friend or a physical item like a toy, or perhaps better, a highly functional doll. Those shoes are then simply acccessories to their toys they can dress their child up in.

    They do not think about the ramifications of doing such things on the child's future because they had the kid NOT for the kid's sake, but for their own. Look up "SUV Kids" and you might get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insight, now that you mention it...I do notice that trend between parent and child. I do find myself asking who is the parent and who is the child? The lines have become blurred.

    OK, now as far as this "SUV Kids" thing I should look up, when I google it, I just get SUV reports that contain kids in it. Is there an actual link you might have available?
    Or is there something I am missing in those links? (I wouldn't put it past me.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I went to Urban Dictionary (hubby's advice) and I found this.

    "
    buy rich kids mugs, tshirts and magnets
    kids who can get whatever their hearts desire, no matter when or where they are, because they can have it and because they want it.

    see oakville
    kid: "OMG mom, i saw the NICEST mercedes!! it wasnt like your silver C230 kompressor benz, or dad's ML500 suv benz, but MOMMY, it was the blue SL500 convertable i ALWAYS wanted, and i just got my lisence too!!"
    mom: "i already got it for you, as a 17th birthday present"
    kid: "damn straight"

    That is the closest I could come to what we are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went and checked out Oakville and opted for the Oakville Kids look up. Whoa! Someone does not like Oakville Canada. Wowza!

    ReplyDelete

Gimme Your Two Cents, You Know You Want To...

Related Posts with Thumbnails