Last night, a lighthearted conversation of pure curiosity came up at the dinner table. For some reason (I cannot remember) writing came up. Maybe because Froggy is in the process of writing out his Thank-you cards for the gifts he received from family and friends for his 7th birthday. Anywho...My mother in law (don't get any ideas in your crazy heads, I love this woman very much and we have the best relationship and she never judges me and is fully supportive of our unschooling adventure. From time to time she asks a curious question and I love it!) asked, "will you be going over cursive writing with them?" Ha, to be honest it never even crossed my mind simply because neither child has even brought up the desire yet. Yes, Tiger Lili does the occasional scribble lines of chicken scratch on paper and tells me what it says, but mostly she prints beautifully. Froggy also prints beautifully and he has never done the scribbly chicken scratch thing. I will of course never go over it with them of they are not interested because it is rare to see anyone write in full cursive these days unless you encounter someone from the older generation. Most writing that I encounter these days is either printing or a mix like I do of printing and a bit of cursive (more like linked printed letters). Or it is in a email or a text, and well that stuff is in print. Also, anything of true importance is also in print, not cursive. So I feel it would not be a make or break thing for my kiddos to learn, unless they would need it for the field they are gonna go into. As far as what my son is choosing to go into, it is definitely not needed. My daughter has not decided yet, so for her we will see. If she likes the art of writing we will most definitely go over cursive along with many other writing styles...But that remains to be seen.
Now as far a s my son and pretty much for any other male out there (because I was thinking a bit more about this last night) I am curious. I made some mental notes of my male friends and their writing styles including my husbands and my son's, and I noticed something, EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.OF.THEM.PRINTS! Not a single one of them chooses to write in the style of cursive, with the exception of my father in law (who is obviously of the older generation, and even at that I still think it is rare). So now I am wondering, are there any men out there that do choose to write in the style of cursive as there primary writing style? If not, why and from what generation are you? If so, why and from what generation are you? I hope you all take a moment to give an answer, I would appreciate it. See you in the comments!
A Post Argument World
2 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment
Gimme Your Two Cents, You Know You Want To...