So this year has started off pretty great, I have a lot of energy and expectation for this new year. I tend to look at things as "the glass half full" and press on despite being knocked down several times. I will get up brush my knees off and persevere. I am innately curious, I cannot help it and I have to guess that lends a hand to my forging on. I hope this part of my personality rubs off on my kiddos along with many other things.
I know my kiddos are eternally curious, and in addition to keeping themselves busy with their curiosity they keep me very busy. It is a good steady relaxed busy thankfully, and not a harried busy like so many other parents are used to.
I allow my kiddos and even myself to get bored and it is a very good thing. So much can come out of boredom, most times it helps to ignite the imagination. When that happens, the cool stuff happens...Newly imagined stories that are sometimes turned into books, games, beautiful drawings, self discoveries, quiet time spent with a good book or a beloved stuffed animal, great uses of furniture and blankets to make fantastic forts, learning to climb a tree or even learning to tie various knots, original songs, so many things. I am dumbfounded when I hear people say they don't dare let their child get bored, because "that is when they get in trouble" they say.
I could not even imagine having every bit of our day scheduled to avoid boredom, I would be exhausted I know for sure. I don't think I would enjoy my kiddos as much as I do, we would be too busy sticking to the schedule. I like the abstract questions that my daughter throws out, I love the get up and go on a walk to see the nature and smell the flowers and to take as long as we wish. I love calling a friend and being available to hang with them when I want (I just wish it worked the other way as well). I love that my kiddos and I can run up and meet daddy for lunch on a whim if we wish. I love that I can take my son to the zoo when he wants and not just on the weekends. Same goes for seeing family. I love that our life is not dictated by a schedule imposed on us not of our making. It is undoubtedly one of the most liberating things I have ever experienced, and I am so glad my kiddos get to experience it as well.
For all of this, I have my husband to thank he makes it all possible and supports us in our learning journey. Not once does he ever question, probably because I can't help but tell him of all the great things we learn and how the kiddos are progressing. He does get to see much of it first hand in the evenings while spending time with us. Thank-you my sweet husband, my knight in shining armor who protects us and loves us with no bounds. You are the man I prayed for, and for you I must thank GOD. Thank-you Jesus, you truly know the desires of our hearts.
I know I have gone all over the place here, but why not?!?!?!?!!! This was just some stuff I had on my mind. I do have some not so nice thoughts on my mind...but I am not gonna share them...cause I don't want a reminder of them. ;o)
I will just say, "I wish we could move somewhere with a more moderate climate, so I don't have to freeze and miss my sunshine 6 months out of the year!!!!!"
A Post Argument World
2 months ago

I loved your post! Thank you for sharing and encouraging me to keep on keeping on with what we are doing. It is easy to get discouraged when I get caught up in the day-to-day, but when I step back at look at all that we are able to do and accomplish with homeschooling, I am rejuvenated. I also feel the need to give Kevin a great big hug and kiss right now too! :)
ReplyDeletewell said, you! happy new year and blessings upon blessing for you and your family for 2010!!
ReplyDelete- Jg.
Aww, gee...well thanks (blushing) you two! Blessings back to you as well Jg.
ReplyDelete