Monday, August 25, 2008

Marco and Momma Time

Today was a refreshingly busy day. My daughter is gone to Nana and Papa's for the second day now, and that leaves my son and me...daddy is off to work today. Except, today is Monday so...Aurora comes over and I watch her, she adores Marco. Then a surprise call from my cousin comes in with the request to watch his little one so he can go into work, their b-sitter called in sick. "Of course," I said. Truly I was looking forward to a day where I could focus on my guy a little bit more than usual and at first I thought that idea was gonna be a goner. Wow, did we luck out! The two little ones went down for their afternoon nap at the same time, which left a nice block of time for Marco and me to spend together. What did we do? I read to him a bit from his 'Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff, Wishful Thinking' by Jason Lethcoe, then we went outside to enjoy the beautiful weather and warm sunshine while playing hockey. We played hockey for a good half hour and my son cheered me on for most of the half hour! I of course did the same for him and we enjoyed it immensely. This is something we apparently needed to do. Marco and I have been having some difficulty enjoying eachother these past few days (more me having the hard time than him). It felt so freeing to spend that time with him and not have to correct, or be annoyed and so forth. Simply it has been the best time I have had with him in days....(don't forget, I spend literally 24/7 with him...we unschool). I also showed him a pic of my friend who lives in Germany right now with her husband and they just sent a picture email announcing they are expecting. I was showing him the picture and this was our conversation;
Me: This is my friend Sarah, she lives in Germany.
Marco: She is looking at her belly.
Me: Mmhmm, why do you think she is looking at her belly?
Marco: She has a baby in there. Mom? Did she go to Germany to find a husband?
Me: No she had a husband already, they just moved to Germany.
Marco: (thinking for a bit) I know Danya got married.
Me: Yes she did.
Marco: Is she gonna have a baby in her belly too?
Me: (me smiling b/c he is making the connections) Someday...
I just love that children are so observant through their natural curiousity of how things relate and work together, or how they don't. They always seem to find the patterns in things and when things don't line up they way they have observed them to in the past, they ask and they try to find out the reasons why.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I need to spend some time like that with Eli about now! We're starting to get on each other's nerves (like you, it's more me then him), and I hate being at odds. I think, too, that Eli is in need of more sleep, but I'm not sure how to force that issue any more than we already do . . .

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Gimme Your Two Cents, You Know You Want To...

Related Posts with Thumbnails