Marco spent his morning hunting for more evidence of cicada nymphs, and of course he was rewarded once again when he spotted a cicada nymph perched low on on of our trees preparing for transiton into adulthood. Yes, we all ended up out there to see the cicada nymph for a bit and then went on our own ways to complete what we were busy doing before we were enticed by Marco's excitement to go outside. Lili found a couple "old selfs" for Marco's collection, which she was very proud to have helped Marco with. While I went in to finish cleaning the house, and Lili went into her room to play, Marco made himslef comfortable outside to watch the whole transformation once again. I wish I thought to take a picture of him at that time, now that I thinking about it. Oh well. We did find out that the nymphs when they turn into adults are called Dog Day Cicadas. As nymphs they spend 7 years underground at the base of trees to feed off the tree sap from the roots. They spend a mere 3 weeks as adults, mate and die. They do not eat as adults either.
* A bit off topic (ok, a lot), I was reading a news article about how women are having fewer children if any. This is not good for our structural pryamid of labor support. Social security if you had any question about it's survival, will definitely cease to exist at this rate...no doubt about that. However, I knew this already before I learned this tidbit of news from the article I read today. Anyway, to my question...they reported that most mothers have an average of 1.9 children (I am not a statician), how does that work? Can someone explain it to me. Does it have to do with the average of all the women of childbearing age (age 15-50 according to article) with or without children? I mean if you were to ask me how many children I have... I am certainly not going to respond with 1.9, I say, "I have 2 children."
A Post Argument World
2 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment
Gimme Your Two Cents, You Know You Want To...