Friday, August 15, 2008

A mystery unfolded in our backyard (go to bottom of post then up)

8. The old self is added to the collection
7. Hello world (just gotta dry out a bit)
6. The new version (an adult cicada)

5. The tail is free


4. Time right itself and get the tail out




3. Taking a break (this is very hard work)





2. Half way there














1. Cicada nymph (not for long)
Marco: "Mom, there are 100 of me!"
Me: "100 of you?"
Marco: "Compound eyes..."
Me: "Oh, that's right."
We are not sure which cicada this is, I believe it may be a periodical b/c of the overabundance of nymph shells we seem to be finding everywhere. We are going to upload a pic to http://www.bugguide.net/
and see what they have to say. The colors are gorgeous on him, and I am sure he will change color as he was darkening up as he dried. My son's vigilant eye has definitely rewarded him on this morning. He is always out there checking on what is happening in the world of bugs and amphibians. He just loves them. He is an entymologist in the making everyday, and I will be by his side everyday for encouragement, and guidance.
ps. sorry the pics are all in crazy order...I haven't figured out how to place the pics in the order I wish for them to appear. There is always next time, so you'll have to bear with me. ;p

2 comments:

  1. oh my he has all those old selfs, eewww, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATE: We found out this cicada is a dog day cicada,(Tibicen canicularis)of North America. These do not live as long as the periodical cicada, but this nymph does spend 7 years underground before becoming an adult.

    ReplyDelete

Gimme Your Two Cents, You Know You Want To...

Related Posts with Thumbnails